First Photography Project
The first larger assignment I did with the students at WVSS was a lesson on developing composition in an image. Specifically, I wanted students to understand the concepts of foreground, middle ground, and background, and how these planes affect the message of an image.
I first had students work in groups of three to take photos on the digital SLR cameras of compositions where the subject was either in the foreground, middle ground, or background. Once they had three images that they were happy with, which had examples of the subject in all three different compositions, the students printed the images and build a three-dimensional construction of the image where each specific plane was cut out separate from the others and arranged further or closer to the background of the image.
From the front, the images look as they would normally, however when viewed from the side, you can see how the different layers of the image are separated from each other to create a 3D representation.
The second week of the short practicum coincided with Remembrance day, and so in my after school multimedia class I taught students two different methods for making poppies out of paper. The first method used tissue paper to create interesting and delicate textures resembling the flower, and for the second method, we hand-painted regular A4 paper with tempera paint and used quilling techniques to create unique, three dimensional flowers. At the end, we made an installation on a wall in the classroom in the style of a local artist to West Vancouver, Bobbie Burgers, whose sculptural floral artwork titled “Innocence Disobedience” was recently installed in the new Simon’s department store in West Vancouver.
My First Lesson
On the first day of my short practicum I was asked to plan a lesson for the following day’s Multimedia class. At first I was incredibly stressed at having to plan something on short notice and for teaching high school students for the first time. While I was trying to think of what to do with the students I decided to take a chance and do an activity that I’ve enjoyed doing myself before, as well as one that I’ve had success with teaching elementary students through the Writers’ Exchange. I was pleased with how the lesson turned out and think that the students were able to have a lot of fun with it. We did a surrealist-themed lesson that began with a word association game in pairs that led to the creation of absurd surrealist-style drawings, and then did a class-wide round of the exquisite corpse exercise, which requires each student to draw a segment of a body, without knowing what the previous person contributed to the drawing. The results are bizarre human-monster-hybrid beings could only come about through the collaborative process!